John Brunton’s article in The Guardian picked 10 best places to eat in George Town, Penang that not only serve some of the best street food but at very good prices.
In conjunction with the George Town Festival, here is another international recognition for Penang’s diverse food and culture.
As listed in the article, here are the 10 best places for food in Penang mentioned by him:
- Char Koay Teow stall at Sin Guat Keong Coffee Shop, 86 Kimberley Street from 5:30 pm √
- Dim Sum at Tai Tong Cafe, 45 Lebuh Cintra from 6:00 am till late evening √
- Assam Laksa at Sin Hwa Coffee Shop, 329 Jalan Burma for Lunch √
- Bak Kut Teh at Zealand Cafe, 62 Gurney Drive from 6:00 am √
- Satay at New Lane outside Maxim Cafe from 5:30 pm √
- Nasi Kandar at Restoran Kassim Mustafa, 12 Lebuh Chulia, open for Lunch and Dinner √
- Chee Cheong Jook Congee stall, 25 Jalan Kuala Kangsar any time during the day √
- Seafood at Tree Shade restaurant near Weld Quay, 21 Pengkalan Weld open for Dinner √
- “Mixed Rice” and Seafood at Townview Seafood Cafe, 11 Jalan Macalister √
- Roti Canai, Murtabak, Sup Kambing and Sup Torpedo Lembu, 48 Penang Road for Dinner √
So foodies out there, take out your writing pad / smartphone and make your own checklist.
Make sure you go to every single one of these places in the list at least once.
Happy Food Hunting.
For more of John’s insight into Penang food, his article can be found in the link below.
Article Link: 10 of the best cheap eats in Penang